April 11, 2009

40 Years

My parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary today. I looked through their wedding album today and asked about some of the things they did that day.

Mom tells me that she dreaded getting up that morning (cold feet) and Grandma had to drag her out of bed. Dad came to the house and gave her a string of pearls he bought in Japan, and Mom said that once she saw him everything was okay.

They were married in the Logan LDS Temple and after the wedding they stopped and bought aprons for the ladies helping with the refreshments at their reception. One of the aprons was worn by Mom's aunt Hannah. After Hannah passed away Joy asked for the apron, not realizing the significance until we saw a picture today of Aunt Hannah wearing it at our parents' reception.

Before their wedding reception my parents ate at Maddox with family and friends. Mom tells me that Dad ordered chicken fried steak and was a little disappointed when he didn't get chicken. They have plans to celebrate their anniversary by eating there when they're in Utah next month. The food there is just as good today, as it was 40 years ago.

Although today was just an ordinary day, I couldn't help but think that I wouldn't mind a 40th anniversary much the same. I'd love to spend the day, not only with my husband but, with my children and grandchildren too.

Little do we know where we'll be in 40 years. I don't know what my parents thought about where they were headed together, but I'm glad their choices led them to where they are now. If they had never met each other and got married...things would be very different!

Congratulations on 40 years of marriage, Mom & Dad! Thanks for getting married and giving me the same opportunity. Love you!

1 comment:

  1. Ruth, please express to your mom and dad our blessings on their 40th Ann. We wish love and happiness for another forty years. God Bless!
    Margaret and Alfred

    ReplyDelete