June 15, 2009

Fishing

Sunday night Darius and I went fishing for halibut in Prince William Sound. We left the harbor around 9PM and arrived in our fishing spot about an hour later. Darius spent another hour trying to find a certain spot for us to fish. After dropping our lines we waited and when it looked like we weren't going to have any luck, Darius suggested we leave. As soon as the words left his mouth, we had a fish on line.

If you've ever fished for halibut, you understand how fun it is to reel one in! It took me holding the rod, and Darius gaffing the fish to get it in the boat. Within the next 45 minutes we caught another three and had our limit.

On our way back we hit a sandbar and got stuck. Darius thought we could possibly be stuck there until high tide around 5AM, but we got lucky and manged to get home by 4:00. Only a couple days earlier the same thing happened to my dad, so he was able to sympathize with us when we called to tell him we were stuck.

Darius took advantage of the time we were there to clean all the fish. I can't say that I was any help as I huddled under a couple of coats and stuffed hand warmers in my socks to try and keep warm.

There aren't too many places you can fish during the wee hours of the morning and still have enough natural light. Right now we've been enjoying around 18 hours of daylight. Although the sun does set, it never gets completely dark. Good thing...otherwise we would have been waiting around even longer on that sandbar.

Here are a couple of shots Darius took on his fishing trip earlier the same day...


2 comments:

  1. So does that mean you were on the water from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.!!!! Please tell me I am misunderstanding that! It sounded fun up until that part....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, those are some mighty fine looking fish!

    ReplyDelete