Yesterday Grandma was surrounded by a good deal of her family and celebrated her 93rd birthday. She told me only a few days earlier that she thought she would be alone for her birthday....fat chance. Even I was surprised by how good a turnout there was. I think the last time I saw so many of my cousins was three years earlier at Grandma's 90th birthday party. As my dad mentioned to me later that night, it's always good for family to be able to come together for something other than a funeral.
Even though Grandma has a difficult time hearing anything in a group setting, I could see the happiness on her face as she was greeted by family and watched the celebration. These past few birthdays of hers have been especially sweet, and I'm grateful for each one. I know Grandma's time is running out, as she often likes to remind me, and her birthday is a great opportunity for her family to let her know how much she's loved in a big way.
My heart lifts each time I walk in the door and find Grandma there to greet me with the most loving and genuine smile, and it sinks whenever it's time to leave her. Life at her age is precious, and I'm reminded of that during each of our visits.
I love this woman so very much!
Ruthie...thanks again for taking the lead in yet another great family get together! It was so much fun to see Grandma enjoy the amazingly tasty cake that you baked for her. There is no doubt that you were the right member of the family to be Grandma's name sake. Love you!
ReplyDeleteI love what Carrie said in her comment! I'm so happy that you're able to spend lots of time with your Grandma, what a beautiful and happy lady!
ReplyDeletePS Your pictures are wonderful! Everyone looks so happy!
That was the first time I've seen so many of the Canfield girls in one place for a really long time. :) It was fun to see everybody. It is funny that it took 30 or so years, but I think I've got more in common with you guys now than I ever did as a kid. Funny how having kids can do that, eh?
ReplyDelete