September 17, 2009

Jimy & Randy

Two of Darius' good friends from Florida, Jimy & Randy, were here visiting us this past week. Between the two of them they probably experienced the best and worst of what a trip to Alaska can be. Randy unfortunately fell ill a day into his trip, and after a couple of hospital visits he spent the majority of his time here in bed. Jimy on the other hand, was out fishing for the Coho every chance he had and came home with his limit everyday. Darius was fortunate to get a couple extra days off from work and was right there catching his limit with Jimy.

They caught some beautiful fish, and even after Jimy took home over 40 pounds we were still left with freezers full of salmon. Between Jimy, Darius, and the one time Randy was able to fish, they caught a total of 38 fish. I'm sure if Randy had been feeling well, they would have had over 50.

It was mine and the boys first time meeting Jimy, and I had no idea what he looked like when I went into the airport to pick him up. It didn't matter I guess because he knew who I was (the boys probably helped with the ID). Upon meeting him, I could tell right away what a genuinely good man Jimy is. I thoroughly enjoyed his company, and I think it's safe to say the rest of my family did as well.

I know having his friends here was a big deal for Darius. We all enjoyed their company, but I know Darius did especially. I think one of the hardest adjustments he had to make when moving to Cordova, was leaving behind so many friends in Florida. I know how much it meant to him to be able to have Jimy and Randy here, and to be able to show them a good time....for the most part (sorry again Randy!).

It's a long haul from Florida to Alaska. Thanks Randy & Jimy for making the trip up here to see us! We'll look forward to seeing you again on our next trip to Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment