May 14, 2010

Happy Birthday Grandma Ruth!

After getting back from Carrie's and Bobby's reception I put my sick little men to bed and promptly got moving on finishing up my grandma's birthday cakes. Yes, more cakes! I know I'm out of my mind. I didn't accomplish the big beautiful cake for her that I originally had envisioned, but at least I had a finished cake.

The following day we all headed up to Brigham City where all my mom's side of the family were gathering for Grandma's 90th surprise birthday party. One of my aunts had taken Grandma out to get her hair done, so everyone was waiting at her house to surprise her when she got back. I think a lot of us suspected that she already had an idea about the party, but the look on her face made it obvious that she didn't have a clue. She was practically in tears. It was the sweetest sight!

My uncles had been busy making a dutch oven lunch which everyone enjoyed with some yummy side dishes. We finished it off with cake which despite it's looks was still very tasty.

Mom gave Grandma the book some of us helped out with which contained some of my grandmother's history along with some photos. I think just about all my grandmother's children and grandchildren wrote up little tributes which were also in the book. The tributes were about her and our favorite memories of her. For those of you that don't know my grandmother, she is the most selfless and giving woman I know. She has been the constant caretaker of her family, and hugging her is probably the equivalent of hugging an angel.


I can't remember who said it, but at her party someone told her "look at what you started.." and pointed to all her family gathered together. Dozens and dozens of people are already around because of her and Grandpa Grover, and there are so many more still to come.

This shot includes just a fraction of Grandma's family, everyone in my family was present except for Darius and Michel's husband, Brent.

No comments:

Post a Comment