June 21, 2010

A whole lot of Halibut!

Our friend Jimy has been here visiting us since last week. He loves to fish and was hoping to take a cooler full of halibut home with him. Darius took him out fishing for 3 straight days around the Strawberry Channel and they got into some serious halibut. They caught a total of 18 halibut and ended up with several hundred pounds of meat. I think it was a pretty successful trip for Jimy, but I think he's happy to be heading home today. There's a lot of work involved with cleaning, cutting, and prepping the fish to freeze. I was exhausted just watching them work! It's a good thing he was able to take fish home with him, and good that my mom and Joy are taking some with them to Utah today too. Otherwise, I don't think there would be enough room in the freezers for all of it...and that's saying a lot! We have 2 large freezers and still had to take a bunch of fish to store in the freezer of our apartment.

It's always great when we have visitors that stay and have a great experience like Jimy did. You never know what the fishing conditions will be like, and all you can do is hope for the best! So far he's had 2 great trips here with plenty of fish to take home. We're hoping he has another successful trip in August when he comes back to fish for Silvers.

2 comments:

  1. I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I'm jealous of all that fresh, delicious halibut!

    (PS This is off the subject, but I know you like the Killers. Brandon Flowers released his first solo single today :) I downloaded it, it's pretty good!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I had no idea that halibut were so big. They're awesome. That is truly good fishing.

    ReplyDelete