Cordova's 50th Annual Iceworm Festival started this week and there's a little something going on for everyone. I found my something in the form of the Iceworm Cake Bake. I had a great idea for a cake and I knew if I could pull it off that I stood a good chance to win the contest.
You could say I have a slight weak spot for doughnuts. I seldom eat them because I can never stop at just one. Anyway, that's what gave me the idea for a cake. I wanted to form a worm out of mini doughnuts and dress it up to resemble the Iceworm Festival's mascot using fondant. I have never made or worked with fondant before, but I love how it looks on cakes. I found a well-rated fondant recipe on a favorite website of mine (Allrecipes) and decided to give it a try. It came out pretty good for my first attempt. It's kind of like stiff play dough and it's a lot of fun to work with. I'm definitely hooked on the stuff now!
You could say I have a slight weak spot for doughnuts. I seldom eat them because I can never stop at just one. Anyway, that's what gave me the idea for a cake. I wanted to form a worm out of mini doughnuts and dress it up to resemble the Iceworm Festival's mascot using fondant. I have never made or worked with fondant before, but I love how it looks on cakes. I found a well-rated fondant recipe on a favorite website of mine (Allrecipes) and decided to give it a try. It came out pretty good for my first attempt. It's kind of like stiff play dough and it's a lot of fun to work with. I'm definitely hooked on the stuff now!
The cake turned out pretty close to what I had imagined and I entered it today in the Cake Bake. I'll be honest, I was hoping for a cool prize but I was still happy to come home with blue ribbons for the Most Theme Oriented Cake, Most Icewormie Cake and a white ribbon for Overall Best of Show.
I don't take a lot of personal time for hobbies, so this was a fun break from the norm for me. Plus it was nice to be able to participate in the festivities.



Congratulations Ruthie.......you are always a Blue Ribbon winner in our book. Your Iceworm cake certainly was fantastic and very creative! Patty called me laughing after speaking with Darius on the phone yesterday.....the boys had just dumped some cracker type thingies on the floor and were stamping on them and having the best time. I hope Darius had it all cleaned up by the time you got home. We sure did have a big laugh and I wished you were there to videotape it. Congratulations again - we'll be sure to get you some donuts when you're here to celebrate. We love you all bunches, honey and pop pop
ReplyDeleteThat cake turned out so cute. I myself have never been brave enough to even try to make fondant frosting. It sounds tricky. Good job.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your adorable cake -it's so cute!! I love that pic with you and your well deserved ribbons, you look great! :)
ReplyDeleteI would have liked to take a bite off of that delicious looking worms tail!! Yumm Yumm. I love reading your blog Ruthie!
ReplyDelete