I've spent the last several hours editing a draft of my Grandmother's history. My mom and sister Michel have been working on it, trying to get it ready in time to give to her at her party next weekend. I've had a lot of mixed emotions as I've been going over it, and I've only just reached the part about her wedding.
90 years....that's a whole lot of memories and little stories, to say the very least. How many people leave us before we take the opportunity to sit down with them and just ask them to recall their life? How well do we really know our parents, our grandparents? What was life like for them when they were our age? I don't have those answers, and I'm ashamed to admit it.
Thank you Mom. Thank you Michel. I can't think of a better gift to give someone.
Grandma is a sharp tack, and I'm sure she can recall what's in the pages being put together right now, but there may be a day when she can't. How priceless to have her memories preserved somewhere safe, and not only for her but for all her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and on down the line.
She is an amazing woman. I often don't feel very deserving in sharing her name, but I am very proud to have it. I'm quite sure I'll never measure up to the woman she is, but I figure if my kids and grandchildren love me as much as grandma's love her, I'll be good with that.
That is so good you're doing a history of her now while she's still here to enjoy it. Who was it that actually set down and recorded everything? That is a big job. It takes hours and hours.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy, with great zest, they are only here a brief time!Love Nini
ReplyDelete