If my boys were talking in sentences I'm sure they would have told me I was a mean mommy today. Let's just say it wasn't one of my better days. It's not like I haven't seen my boys transform into gremlins before, but usually my patience is intact when they do. It was definitely MIA today, and I had a few too many Cruella-type screechy moments today.
I love to read to my boys, but there's only so many times I can tolerate reading the same book over and over again within the same day. I don't particularly like having a tug-of-war when trying to take away a dangerous item from my child and then have him ball up his fists and scream in my face in protest. I don't like to have sippy cups thrown at me when their contents have been emptied, or to be screamed at when there's water in the cup instead of juice. Really boys...I water your juice down so much anyway, I don't get why water is so disgusting to you? I don't like being the ref between crazy 2-year-olds and trying to figure out who did what and who should get scolded when there's an injury. I don't like to fix meals that aren't touched or pushed away without even a look to see what's on the plate. I don't enjoy refolding piles of laundry that my gremlins like to knock over or roll around in. I don't like to be kicked while I'm changing a diaper, and I don't like changing poopy diapers that are full of crayon bits because someone can't refrain from eating them rather than coloring with them. I don't like a whiny entourage following me into the bathroom every time I have to pee...and the list goes on.
Wait a sec....I signed up for all of this didn't I? Silly me! I forget about all those lengthy pages of fine print that came with the boys' birth certificates. This should serve as a reminder to me that all the above-mentioned nonsense problems are nothing compared to what's coming down the pipeline.
Tomorrow is another day. I'll look for my patience on the other side of the bed if I find it missing in the morning, and I'll make it a better day...even if I'm the mother of gremlins tomorrow.
Good Morning, Mrs. Cranky Pants........YOU are a gift! I love you oh-so-much! You make me smile along with your little gremlins.......and yes, by the way, someday you'll remember these days as the simple days. I really believe you're just missing the sunshine and warmth of a peninsula in the lower 48. Loving you guys bunches, honey
ReplyDeleteThat blog entry just made my day. I know all too well exactly how you feel!
ReplyDeleteTaking the time to raise chilren in an extra loving and nurturing enviroment takes so much work. And how you do it with twins boys just flat out amazes me ;) I'm sure you already know that you're an awesome mother. Ben and Zach are very lucky little boys! Keep up the great work Ruthie! :)
When my oldest went into the terrible twos I discovered why they are called the terrible twos. (It starts when they're 18 months old.) But luckily it is a phase and things get better. Someone told me once that there is a reason two-year-olds are so cute. They have to be because you'd be inclined to do something terrible to them otherwise. But they are cute and it tends to save them.
ReplyDeleteto the love of a awesome mother and two beautiful awesome grand gremlins. With the special of a great son and father! Love Nini & Papaw
ReplyDelete