October 13, 2011

AK to FL - Day 7

We enjoyed our detour in Utah and had a great opportunity to visit with nearly all my family. It was awesome to see everyone, and the break from all the driving was definitely needed before we continued on with our trip to Florida. We stayed with my parents for a few nights and Carrie for a couple more. Carrie even took me to a Foo Fighters concert with her.....so awesome!! I haven't been to a concert in over 4 years, and if you know me, you know how much I love a great concert! Thanks again to all our family for the great time we had!

How ironic is it that after watching a lot of Scooby Doo in the car today, we just happened upon the Mystery Machine?
We continued on with our trip this morning and after a few stops between Salt Lake and Provo, we finally started to make up some time. We took I-15 S to US-6 E to US-191 S to US-491 S and arrived in Cortez Colorado for our overnight stop at the KOA in Cortez.


Our drive took us past Canyonland's National Park, Arches National Park, and Moab. Even though I grew up in Utah, I don't ever recall visiting any of these places, so it was great for us all to see the sites for the first time together. I had hoped we would have had a little extra time to see the parks, but our earlier stops had us on a tight deadline to reach Cortez before dark. I don't mind night driving on freeways, but I'll admit I don't care to drive the highways at night and chance hitting a deer. I saw enough of their bodily traces on the drive today.




We arrived in Cortez with just enough time to set up for the night, and the boys were happy to have use of a playground before bedtime. We reserved a teepee and we absolutely love it! It's a first for all of us sleeping in one, and it's awesome! It's going to be a cold night, but we've got all the gear to keep as toasty as possible. We'll head out early tomorrow and if all goes as planned, we'll reach Amarillo for our next stop.


LaDart teepee out.....

2 comments:

  1. I want to sleep in a teepee! How fun! I loved your visit and I know that you just left but I am already looking forward to the next time I get to see you. I love you all so much! Thanks for staying with me, come back anytime! Thanks a million for going to the concert with me, it was such a good time. Safe Travels.

    Hugs,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that I wasn't here when you stopped by! Just my luck :( Thank you so much for the saffron, I can't wait to use it!

    I love that you got to go see Foo Fighters! Sounds like you guys had a great stop in Utah.

    And a teepee?! That's completely awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete